Wednesday, November 9, 2011

How To Poke A Hole In A Metal Roof

I was asked a question yesterday about the fire place (Dickinson Stove) and how I was able to get it in place with a metal roof. These types vents take place long before I was able to install the fire place. I will go back and talk about the process of preparing the hole for the stove. First we identified where the stove would be placed.
We then cut a hole appropriate for the shaft in the roof liner and cut out the hole in the plywood. We then covered a large 2ft x 2ft space with the same Butel tape we used around the windows and doors. Heavy Duty and very water proof. I then drilled a hole through the whole mess. We figured out where the hole would be in the metal roof and where the "fireplace chimney would be placed. Our big concern with the hardware that was provided was there was no upstream prevention plate to stop water draining down the roof from seeping in. So Stet built it with aluminum stripes I bought from home depot.

 You can see the Cardboard template that Stet used for the Chimney. I learned very quickly the "cardboard" cutout can prove invaluable to form fitting.

Add a robust amount of silicone and well you have a very water tight enclosure. We used treated 2x6 for the wood structure. It would be good to note at this point that none of this structure will ever touch anything hot from the stove. The exhaust vent from the Dickinson is two pipes in one. A center pipe vents the hot exhaust out, and the surrounding pipe vents air in for combustion. This is the way the stove works and why I have one in my boat. They don't suck air out of the space. This is a good thing in a "tiny house" or "mobile cottage".
 The almost finished product. I covered it in plastic for travel and then later wrapped it in Cedar tongue in grove to make it look like the house.

The finished product is a looking good with the bell unit that comes with the Dickinson Stove. It appears to be functioning perfectly.

Now a week since install, it is all working well.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Incremental Steps

I am making consistent progress on the cottage and will be taking the week of Thanksgiving off to make some major progress and move to Dundee. As a follow up to the gutters and catchment system. I took some shots of the gutters since I was up there. The Purple Rain guys did a good job.

While at my current location it looks a little awkward it is very functional and is doing it's job superbly. I was able to run the water for about 10 minutes straight while testing the hot water heater and I had plenty of water.
Yes you read correctly, I have HOT WATER, the whole system worked flawlessly with the exception of the DC Breaker that I tripped twice during my testing. This is a very easy fix as I will just pick up a different rated breaker for the water pump. After thinking about my statement flawlessly is a not quite accurate as the fancy water filter needed to be removed as it was not allowing water through at the correct flow rate. Removed the filter and then it was flawless.

Other events was finishing the propane which allows for the water heater but it also means I have a heater. First I needed to get exhaust stack in place and that was easy enough, then I mounted the Dickinson Stove and hooked up the propane, checked for leaks and you guessed it, Heat.

Can't really tell but there is a bit of a blue flame going on here. I also put up the kitchen lights. I can now do the dishes, sweet.
I need a little wire management, but hey they work.