I created a drawing of each wall and posted them on the inside cottage walls. I then created a punch list for each string of plugs or lights. As I moved to the actual wall I had to make changes due to the real place of Windows or Double Studs that provide a barrier that I did not want to go through. Besides my experience, I am using Black & Decker Complete Guide To Wiring.
This has been a great resource for me to make sure I am on track. While I understand the basic concepts of electricity and have done a fair amount of boat AC wiring projects this Mini Cottage needs to be done right. I did not have a concept of the right levels for plugs, switches and the like. This book has been an answer those questions and more.
From here I took a markers and started to draw out each of the plug strings. I used a different color for DC and Speakers. I am trying to keep my wire runs in the wall at the same height's all around the trailer. I stationed all the plug boxes first, drew the paths and then used a jig to mark where I should drill the hole as it has to be inset from the wall at least an inch and a quarter.
I have about 80% of the holes drilled and should have the rest done early next Saturday. Then I start pulling wire. I am using standard 12/3 NM for all of the AC electrical. I am using 10/3 for the DC. It went faster then I thought to lay it all out, I am sure pulling the wire and getting into and out of the boxes is going to be fun.
We had two other projects going this weekend, we rolled the trailer forward and sheathed the end of the trailer that was tight up against the wall. That end of the cottage is ready for the door. I went down to see Makenzie at Stayton Wood Windows
who I had custom build me a door and a window. Wow, you won't believe this door, pretty cool and it is far, far heavier then I expected. It will rock but you won't get a chance to see if for a while as I don't plan on putting it in till the very last of the project.
We also wanted to put in the shower so we need to frame it in. The wall section in this corner needed to be insulated and then sheathed. When we have that completed we will then drill the drainage hole for the shower plumbing. This also should be wrapped up by next weekend only needing to add the water plumbing. I am going to search Craigslist and see if I can come up with a glass shower door. A new one is running about $275 and I have no desire to pay that. It will be interesting to see what I can come up with.
You can see Stet has been cutting the insulation board with a hand saw. It is really pretty easy to cut it to size and get it to fit pretty tight. I have not been foaming it in because it is so snug. We used a 2 inch piece thick piece and then a 1 inch piece and that is pretty good at filling the space. It is hard to tell from this picture but I am using Rmax board insulation for this corner. I am going to spray the rest of the trailer with Foam It Green
- closed cell foam insulation. The Rmax gives me an insulation value of R-18. The spray closed cell foam will give me an insulation value of R-21. Look for a good explanation of what it is like to spray foam a mini mobile cottage in about 5 weeks when we get some warmer weather and I have put the roof on.
Great job on that electrical, thought I had heard you say you were hiring that part out, but I can see you got it done, great photos and explanation of what is going on, getting excited here! For sure.ReplyDelete