Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Suspense Builds

A Roof, man I would like to have the roof on. It is going to take a bit of weather luck to bring a nice weekend over Memorial Day. I would really like to have a full three days of Mobile Cottage work. It was a productive day on Saturday to get things staged.
We built a template on the floor and cut out the Gussets, I am pre-staging the gussets with all the screws in place. We need 13 rafters so we set up this little production line and we went after it.

You can see set up in front of Stet the 2x2 we are using to attach the internal ceiling. We decided rather then run the internal walls all the way to the peak we are going to go flat across the top.
The last part of the roof rafter is the two ends need to have cut out to put 2x4's through so that you can extend beyond the wall line to an overhand and a cosmetic fascia.

If you have a favorite chant, dance, prayer that can bring sun please feel free to do you part to helping me with my Mini Mobile Cottage project that is now ready for a putting up a roof!

Monday, May 16, 2011

Pieces Are Coming Together

Well I am waiting for the weather to improve here in wonderful wet Olympia, WA. Man it has been wet, I am a native of the Pacific NW and have seen some pretty wet springs but I have a project to complete and this weather is not helping. I need three good days over a weekend. As of now the plan is the first weekend in June for the roof event. Over the next weekend we will take all the pieces and assemble them, install the Simpson ties and be ready...for good weather. We cut all the joist so here is a shot of them (above). Boy they look small but they fit right so we will see. 

We had a change in plans for Sunday so I adjusted and moved into coating the Cottage with Log Oil. The big challenge in our neck of the woods is mold. Even fresh kiln dried cedar like this will mold if covered with standard treatments. Log Oil is a what is regularly used in this very damp climate. If nothing else it came out looking just awesome. Here is a before shot of the Tongue end.
And after the application here is what she looks like. This is not 100% done as I still need to go in and hit the spots in between the boards.
Working on the rest of the Cottage as well.

I also had time to start on my sliding table project. I am going to build a sliding table on a runner. I picked up a hanging door runner and the wheeled mechanism that goes in side it (in grey). I am going to construct a shelf to hide the runner and it will move as needed along the 8ft track. Here is a graphic of the slider and a picture of the bottom of the table (it is still in varnish mode).
The table will mount against the long brown board on the right. I hope it works like I plan.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

More Of The Same

We were able to finish both sides of the Mini Mobile Cottage with siding. Feeling very good about the progress. It looks pretty good to me, we will be putting log oil on the wood to treat it. I expect to be done treating both sides next weekend.

We also cut the hole for the Water Heater, all in all I think the wheel wells and the areas that needed a little modification came out real well. I am excited to get some oil on it and see what it will look like. We don't have access to the rear (door end) of the trailer as we are too close the wall so we won't be able to deal with any siding on that end till we move the trailer out for the roof event.

We did prep the tongue end and wrapped the window. Once we pull the trailer out to put the roof on, we will put the window in as we won't need to use that end as the door!
The window wrap came out excellent. You can also see the roof joist we are building. We have them measured out and I will order the metal roofing this week. Stet is going to go buy the 2x4's we need and some extra siding for the ends. I am confident we can get the trailer pulled out and prepped and the roof on in May!